Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reflection


When I first began thinking about this assignment, about the value of reflecting on our reflections that we have made throughout this assignment, my thoughts went a book that I saw over the summer that is titled Using Reflection and Metacognition to Improve Student Learning:  Across the Disciplines, Across the Academy.  While I must truthfully confess that I have not had the opportunity to read this selection, I was able to look at the synopsis when considering the book and seeing just the value of reflection as a strong learning tool for students and I have seen the value of reflection for our activities.  I often find disappointment with myself that I failed to be reflective early in my administrative career of stories that I may never remember again, lessons that I learned from my mentors, and situations that I may never face again.  One story that I wished I would have put into a reflection was when I was asked by a teacher to “adjudicate” a situation between her and another teacher.  While I don’t remember the story, I recall needing to look up the word adjudicate because it was not one of the PSAT words I heard every day.  While I can say that all of my experiences have made me into the principal that I am today, some of those meaningful moments will be forever lost in the complete detail because I did not seize the opportunity to put down my thoughts.  A number of research studies have identified the value of reflection and for educators to monitor their own understanding.  Just this week within one of my Baylor courses, I read an article title “Meeting the Challenge:  Beginning English Teachers Reflect on Their First Year” by Melanie Shoffner, Matthew Brown, Bridget Platt, Martha Long, and Bryan Salyer.   about 4 brand new English teachers that wrote reflections at the end of each week of their first year.  These insights not only gave the new teachers a memory of that first year, it also is a useful learning tool for all educators and especially campus administrators when working with a new staff member. 

 

While considering what reflections were most meaningful to me, one jumped out from by time blogging.  That assignment was when we wrote a reflection about our Superintendent interview.  I wrote a very positive article about my superintendent and drew from that experience some of the things that I would aspire to do if I became a superintendent.  A reason that this particular reflection became meaningful during this experience is that all my interactions with Dr. Kazanas have been in a similar nature and tone.  He has looked all each of these times that I am working on a Lamar University assignment that requires his attention as a learning opportunity and has been that way since our first interaction.  I hope that I can do the same for aspiring administrators if given the opportunity. 

 

One of the most meaningful activities I logged from my time working on the internship hours was the time that I toured the district campuses to look at what summer construction needs were going to be addressed.  As I reflected on that experience and what a superintendent must to do have a good grasp of Competency 9.  The activity was getting to be a shadow as the Superintendent and District Director of Facilities looked at a variety projects.  The experience was so valuable from what I learned and then what I was able to take the time and reflect on paper.

 

I will keep close all of my reflections from the course on budget.  I have felt from the outset of these 6 classes that finance will be my downfall for landing my first position as superintendent; I made numerous reflections on the assignments from that course.  I tried to capture thoughts and ideas that would ultimately help me prepare to be successful if given the opportunity to interview for a superintendent position.  I can even say that the assessment we took at the beginning of the year showed this was an area of weakness that would need to be addressed if I wanted to be successful. 

 

I hope that I will continue to use reflection as a valuable learning tool in my educational leadership experience.  I can see the value of it this year as I have faced a year that may never be duplicated where I have to work outside my comfort zone on numerous activities.  If I take the time to be reflective, I can not only look at how I have grown professionally, I can also use those lessons to help me be a better leader should a similar situation arise again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment