Saturday, September 14, 2013

Comprehensive Final Report Describing Recommendations and District/Campus Improvement Initiative/Action Research Lessons Learned


I have learned a variety of lessons not only as an administrator but also as a potential superintendent. My first lesson was a crossover lesson not only connected to campus and district plans but also connected directly with my own life. That first lesson is simply this, as you write out your district (or campus) improvement plan make sure that you don’t put too much on your shoulders that makes it almost impossible to succeed. As I have been taking my Lamar courses, thinking about superintendency, I have also been working on classes at Baylor for a doctorate. This first lesson has been crystal clear to me as I looked at robust campus plans and big plans for the district plan but saw the potential that all might not be completed because there were so goals on the table. My life lesson was the same, in that I have wondered if I did not put too much on my plate trying to do all that I am trying to do.

 

My first recommendation would be to put into place plans that are not just meaningful on paper but meaningful to the entire campus and district.  In order to ensure that this recommendation is accomplished, I believed that the district needs to make it a requirement that every campus principal sits down with the staff, reviews the existing campus and district improvement plan and gather input from the staff on each of these documents.  Prior to that meeting, I would want each campus principal sitting down with the district level leadership to work on their own campus improvement plans in order to ensure the alignment of district level goals with the campus level goals.  Following those meetings, I would have the principals work with their campus leadership to finalize the plan and confirm what staff members will be responsible for each key goal.  I truly believe that there are staff members within the district that have been employed with the district for over 15 years and have never had the opportunity to review a campus improvement plan, nor have they seen the value to why those goals should be listed on that document.

 

One recommendation that cannot be lost is the work going on at the campus and district level preparing the students for 21st Century learning.  The district has been taking a number of steps to prepare the teachers to actively engage the students utilizing new technologies and new strategies.  Sometimes that work can go unnoticed by the district or underappreciated by the campus leadership.  So we must keep the work going to equip our teachers but as we metaphorically push and pull the teachers towards new ideas, we must pat them on the back to let them know how much we appreciate their efforts. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your thoughts about not putting too much information into the Campus and District Improvement Plans. In my work with plans historically, I can attest to the fact that we sometimes have all of these wonderful ideas we want to include when, in fact, we cannot realistically get all of them accomplished and done well. We need to be okay with selecting a few very meaningful goals and putting all efforts toward meeting those goals well. Great reflection on both work and life practice with that!

    ReplyDelete