Sunday, September 1, 2013

Post Self-Assessment EDLD 5399



The Lamar Superintendent Program has allowed me the opportunity to build several areas of my administrative experience that needed to be addressed.  It also gave me the opportunity to strengthen those areas that I feel confident with my knowledge.  One area that I feel is a strength is Competency 1.  This competency includes areas such as acting with integrity, fairness and acting in an ethical manner in order to promote the success of all students.  I felt strong about this competency after the initial assessment back in January but my work within the Lamar program has even made me feel stronger with this competency.  Another area that I felt good about was Competency 4.  This was another area that I felt good about during the initial assessment from January.  My time within all of my courses has allowed me to hone in my knowledge and skills within this area which addresses responding to and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context, including working with the board of trustees, to achieve the district’s educational vision.  It was a competency that I had only a few “C” during my final assessment.  Competency 6, which addresses how to advocate, promote, and sustain an instructional program and a district culture that are conducive to student learning and staff professional growth, was another competency that I felt was a strength during my final assessment.  The last competency that I felt highlighted a strong competency was Competency 10 which addressed how to apply organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to a comply with federal and state requirements and facilitate positive change in varied contexts.

The Lamar Superintendent Program also allowed me to work on areas that I will continue to work on even if I were to become a superintendent.  The first area that I will continue to address is Competency 8, which addresses how to apply principles of effective leadership and management in relation to district budgeting, personnel, resource utilization, financial management, and technology application.  The areas that I must continue to look for opportunities to grow are in the area of budget.  I feel that I grew from my budget class but it is still has many components that I want to learn.  The final competency that I want to work on to make it stronger would be Competency 9 which address how to apply principles of leadership and management to the district’s physical plant and support systems to ensure a safe and effective learning environment.  I completed several activities this summer to give me learning opportunities through my internship plan, but it will still be an area that I need to continue to work on learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment