Saturday, January 19, 2013

Action Research


    I must confess that my knowledge of action research is probably limited more than others in the class because I have not had the opportunities to do action research during my college career, including my bachelors and masters.  However, I am fortunate to be principal of a high school that has a partnership with a Professional Development School for Teacher Education.  Within that PDS School, all of their student interns must participate in action research, so I have been able to see it in action first hand, and have the pleasure of seeing the final results of the intern’s work at the end of the semester. 
     
    Action research has so many benefits within education but time is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for action research to occur.  I think I could use it within my current position with many of the challenges we face, but especially within the realm of high stakes testing.  I will see a problem or concern then work with my leadership team to do our best to analyze that challenge and look at the variables involved.  I could use action research better by defining the methodology that I use to address the problem, document the results of the changes made that relates to the problem, and then reflect on how this action research will help in other areas.  Many times, I will see challenges present themselves, develop ideas, but will fall short on being reflective and using data to determine the success of that change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment